For those who don't know, I recently accepted a job at a local high school as an Administrative Assistant. My first "full-time" job after graduation. Not quite what I had in mind, but I love the schedule and that fact I won't be in corporate America. Plus, I don't really have to take work home - it stays at work. That fact alone will do wonders for my sanity!
I kind of feel like Josie Gellar in "Never Been Kissed" whereas I wasn't always part of the "in" crowd in high school and now I get a
chance, in some aspects to re-live my high school days and (except for the whole falling in love with a teacher, becoming prom queen thing, and completely horrid fashion skills - seriously who dressed Drew Barrymore in that movie?!?). And like Josie - I have the whole "no hesitation" thing down pat these days. ;)
chance, in some aspects to re-live my high school days and (except for the whole falling in love with a teacher, becoming prom queen thing, and completely horrid fashion skills - seriously who dressed Drew Barrymore in that movie?!?). And like Josie - I have the whole "no hesitation" thing down pat these days. ;)Over the past week, I have dealt with a few upset parents, many "frequent fliers" in the principal's office, was almost lunged at by a girl who wanted her cell phone back, and re-scheduled Saturday School twice due to weather cancellations. Oh, and a girl took all of my Milky Ways from the candy tray when I wasn't looking. (Seriously, I had just put 10 in and after turning my head they were all gone and so was the girl - NOT COOL).
Sadly, this is the most excitement I have seen in a while and I have really enjoyed all of it. I like the feeling of making a difference. Most of my job deals with attendance and discipline issues, and I believe a lot of these problems stem from lack of attention (not all of the them, but a lot of them). So I am there, everyday to listen. Students come in and I help them the best I can - and have seen several smiles as a result. I can't fix everyone's problems, but the feeling of making a difference is wonderful.
The real highlight of my week - when a teacher told me her students thought I was really nice and seemed impressed with me. I took that as a sign I was doing something right - and maybe like Josie I will gain some popularity and closure for my second high school experience that may have been missing from the first. Only time will tell.
One thing though - I am sooooo glad to be done with the drama of high school social life!
2 comments:
haha...this was a great post! How did hear about this job?
You make me laugh! You really do make a difference in the lives of others! Keep doing great work.
Post a Comment