Sunday, May 31, 2009

Green Smoothie - History


(Before diving into this subject, allow me to clarify that I do not consider myself a health junkie. While I run 3-4 times a week, and I enjoy drinking these very much, I also dropped $10 yesterday on ice-cream. You do the math.)

Owing to the many reports which have been put in circulation by questioning individuals, in relation to the rise and progress of the Green Smoothie® - I have been induced to write this history, to appease the public mind.

In 2006 while studying at Brigham Young University, I was under the instruction of Robyn Openshaw-Pay, who became one of my most influential teachers during said tenure. She maintains a website focused on eating not only healthy food, yet healthy delicious food. (note emphasis)

The following video was posted there, which I consider a very worthwhile use of three minutes.



And there you have it.

My first attempts at this were unsuccessful, however time and experimention has created a very healthy pillar on which I can comfortably rest.

I knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it. Besides, since trying these, I have convinced a few others of their value, who enjoy these as well!

That said, I must clarify that I do not use a VitaMix. Our KitchenAid gets quite the workout here, and clearly doesn't make a smoothie as... well... smooth as a VitaMix. Still, I consider the entire effort worthwhile, and would emphatically recommend this to anyone who actually wants to significantly improve their diet rather than the frequently heard "One day I should.."

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Can I clarify once again, I like the taste. I just can't get over the strings in my mouth from the kelp or whatever it is. Now the Vita Mix may have solved that problem...

Elise said...

K-A-L-E

Lowell asked me to clarify. It is kale. Kelp comes from the sea. He actually made one for me today without bananas which is pretty good - but the kale is really stringy.

Samantha said...

Interesting.... I may have to investigate.

Arianne said...

Wow, your mom is going to LOVE this post! I'm intrigued and definitely gonna have to try this. Do you have any tips for making it taste good?!

wenwin said...

I cannot even swallow milk. How in the world would I swallow that concoction?
It sure looks pretty in your picture. I think I will stick to my daily Chocolate Smoothie!