Sunday, August 23, 2009

Amish Paradise

When our plans for the beach fell through yesterday (blasted rain and hurricanes) we needed to find something else to occupy our minds. A trip to Lancasters outlets was what we settled on.

As a back story to the upcoming pictures - last fall my mom and sister, Stephanie, came to visit. We journeyed to Amish territory in Lancaster for shopping at the outlets. However, Stephanie seemed more fascinated by the Amish themselves than the actual shopping (except for the Coach Outlet). Her mission was to get a picture of "my Amish" as she affectionately called them. And - when opportunity presented itself perfectly, I told her not to do it right at the last second. The rest of her trip, Steph was devastated that she didn't have any good shots and it was all my fault.

Saddly, I had not returned to Amish country again until yesterday. Lowell and I settled on our mission -- - cute back-to-school clothes for me(I do work at a school you know) - and pictures of the Amish for Stephanie. Here is how we did.

Our first few Amish sightings were unsuccessful. We did find this older couple driving down the road. However, I thought it was a little early for Amish sightings and my camera wasn't ready right away.
Next, we were happy to find an Amish gentleman pulling into a gas station with his buggy...please explain that one to me. :) In the back of his buggy appeared to be a large wooden chest. My guess was he was going to sell it.

Third was a man in an open wagon - however he was too quick for my camera. Right as we approached the Wal-mart with buggy stalls was our final attempt on the return home - we found a buggy jaunting along with a young girl looking out the back. Sorry about the poor picture quality, it looks better bigger.

Hopefully, this is enough that Stephanie forgives me for last fall. I really did try.

Now on to the clothes. My mom asked for pictures and pictures you shall see.

The Banana Republic Factory Store is my friend...and fits my budget...especially when they are having clearance sales on pretty much the whole store. I came away with a shirt, sweater, and pair of pants (that dare I say might be too long!), however I could have come out with much more.

Round one of shopping concluded with Texas Roadhouse, ribs were on Lowell's mind (also a promise to go to the Roadhouse I think is what completely sold Lowell on the idea of a trip out there, not that he wasn't happy before but this cemented the decision in his mind).

After a lunner (lunch/dinner combined) we headed to the Pottery Barn Outlet and bought pillow covers. I am still not sure - what do you think?

Finally we stopped at Dutch Haven to pick up a ShooFly Pie (something I had never heard of until Pennsylvania and never tried until yesterday). We stopped and shared with our friends the Ahlmers - thanks guys for letting us invade.

I do say the day was a great success.

6 comments:

Jodi said...

How fun! Wish I would have been there. It was such a fun trip last fall, we are contemplating another such trip, except with the whole family. Beware! :)

Anonymous said...

the amish guy is pretty crazy. why would he need to take his horse and buggy to the gas station? loving the new banana tops, elise! also, your pillows are fab. just got a pashmina scarf in a similar shade of orange. such a great color!

Jodi said...

elise i am very proud!!! love you!!

~ stephanie :]

Becky said...

Very cute clothes! We should take a buggy ride sometime and need to eat at Good N'Plenty or some place like that.

Heidi said...

I'm enjoying your orange pillows. They look great! I love that you played a little picture scavanger hunt with the amish! Crazy!

Mamapierce said...

I love the pillow covers - orange is my favorite color! And they match the brown really well.