Growing up, I was obsessed with the Anne movies. I loved the books when I read them in high school, but I grew up with the movies. Even before I could read, I knew about Anne. I watched them all the time - or at least whenever they came on PBS. I can still recite them almost verbatim. Heck, I was even proposed to on a bridge - at sunset - just like Anne. (No, he didn't know that was some dream that I had had for years, it just happened).

I first had my hair died when I was 6. The chosen color? RED. I still have high hopes that one day my hair will turn reddish auburn. If not, I have a husband with red hints in his hair - there is hope for my children.

In high school, my friend and I went by the code names "Anne" and "Diana" with our crushes being "Gilbert" and "Fred." Once for a stake dance we even followed the directions in my Anne of Green Gables Treasury and made dance cards.
You would imagine my surprise when I learned a few years ago about a third movie entitled "Anne: the Continuing Story." Despite its flaws and turning far from the story line it might be worth watching. ...Wait a minute... let me rethink that. No, I do not recommend it. However, I do have to give the Sullivan company props for at least getting together most of the original cast even though they were way older than they should have been.

Being an Anne enthusiast, I subscribe to a weekly email list from the Sullivan corporation getting new details on "Anne" info and such. Most weeks I quickly skim it and think about how commercialized the story of Anne has become, however last Friday's has stayed entrenched in my mind.
They have made a new movie. You can watch the trailer and read the synopsis here.
I am appalled. It seems Anne was not really an orphan after all - who does that to the story? Honestly? She is Anne Shirley - the ORPHAN. That single fact is the premise of the whole story, without being orphaned she wouldn't have gone to Green Gables - therefore no "Anne of Green Gables."
To add insult to injury - Gilbert doesn't appear to be in the cast of characters. And, Megan Follows, who could actually pass for the right age in this movie, isn't Anne - say what? Yes I know. Terrible. My guess is she didn't want to be involved in the corruption of the Anne story.
Let's just say I have some strong opinions I would like to share with Mr. Sullivan.
5 comments:
LOL!!! I couldn't even finish the third "Anne" movie. Ugh. I remember my best friend telling me that it was coming out and how she'd seen a preview and was appalled because it wasn't Anne Shirley at all!!! Anyway, I love the books more than the movies, I think. I wish there were movies that were exactly like the books!!!
Oh, this is the Elise I know, I mean Anne. It brings me back to the good old days when we used to write notes to each other as if we were actually Anne and Diana. That was so much fun. I am sorry to hear they are trying to ruin the story. Maybe it will be a total flop and nobody will ever remember anything but the originals.
Stuffanonsense! What a kafuffle! Sad, sad, sad. Also I'm planning on going to Prince Edward Island before I die, want to come?
That's horrible! I couldn't get through the third movie, either. I even had a few issues with the second one--it used to be Anne of Avonlea, but I think it's called Anne of Green Gables Part II or something else now. I'm a purist--stay true to the books, people! If they're going to make more movies, couldn't they base them on the subsequent books? Anne of Ingleside, anyone?
Wow, I am so shocked I don't know what to say. I've seen some pretty bad movies, but I would completely agree with you. They are totally destroying Anne Shirley. Tragic, really tragic. Sometimes people just need to learn to stop while they're on top!
Post a Comment