Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gettysburg

One of the blessings of living on the east coast is the close proximity to so many historical sites and weekend getaways. Lowell and I have loved our time exploring and with a baby coming in approximately 20 days...our explorations will be taking a little bit of a backseat for a while. For one last hurrah, we traveled to Gettysburg two weekends ago and stayed in a little Bed and Breakfast on the battlefield.
(And when I say on the battlefield, I mean ON the battlefield. That stone fence in the picture was there during the battle and used as a hiding place by several troops.)

After being stuck in horrendous traffic, we arrived around 7 on Friday night. Dinner was at the Dobbin House Tavern. Very cool...we went into the basement and it looked like something out of the 1700s. The room was lit entirely with candles and the servers were in period dress. Dessert was some delectable ice-cream at a local shop.

Saturday started bright and early with the auto tour. The estimated duration was 2-4 hours. I think we took a little over 4 1/2. Had we known we probably would have broken it up in half, however we still had a great time and learned a ton about the history of the battlefield. (The auto tour is a route marked through town, while driving you listen to CDs and stop at the appropriate places. You can get out and explore or just drive straight through).
Lowell at the Peace Light Memorial. Over 250,000 people packed onto the field behind Lowell for its dedication in 1938.
The site Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and his men were told to hold at all costs on Little Round Top. Lowell enjoyed "hiding" from the oncoming troops. At least that is what I suggested he do for this picture. Not so sure about the method of hiding though. Oh - that stone fence, it was there during the battle.
The view from the top of of Little Round Top. It was SO cold and windy - however we were grateful that the rain that was in the forecast never materialized.

After the tour we ate lunch at Tommy's Pizza and set to exploring the fun shops of Gettysburg for the afternoon. There are several cute little craft shops and antiques stores.

That night was off to the outlets, and we took time to see a movie.

Sunday we woke up and packed our bags. We toured the Soldier's Cemetery where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address. Quite the somber setting.

On the ride home Lowell needed to check out "Mr. T's Roadhouse" as well.
It was a lovely weekend and a great time to relax.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Looks like so much fun! Did you like the Bed and Breakfast??? I hope the audio tour worked out for you!!!

Michelle said...

That sounds great! A nice little break before the baby. We're so excited!

Linda Cameron said...

I loved my visit to Gettysburg. I love the movie "Gettysburg." I enjoy American history. I hope you loved it as much as Devin and I did. I hope to hear baby news soon.