Sunday, October 19, 2008

Apples, Pumpkins, and Hay - Oh My!

Yesterday Lowell and I ventured to the local orchard. We had a blast!

The day began with a rousing game of picking apples. Unfortunately, we went so late in the season the apple orchards were pretty picked over. We did find a few - including some "Golden Delicious" which are currently in the oven becoming a scrumptious pie. :)

Next we wandered through Pumpkinland, drank some delicious cider and enjoyed donuts while waiting for our hayride. The apple cider was sooooo good! We just had to stock up on some for the upcoming week.

The conclusion of our evening was a hayride through the orchards. I was dumbfounded by the number of crops and sheer amount of land in the middle of a very populated area of Pennsylvania that was set aside for crops. In their respective seasons Linvilla Orchards produces apples, peaches, pears, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, pepper and pumpkins - all of which you can pick your own. Lowell says we are going every month next summer to partake of the bounty. I guess that means I need to learn how to can. :)
The hayride ended with a bonfire. Gotta love roasted marshmallows and more cider!


It truly was the perfect fall day!

In other news, Lowell's company was rated the Second Best "Large" Company to work for in Philadelphia. "How about them apples?"...as Lowell would say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The colors in your top photo are absolutely brilliant! Looks like it was a beautiful day!