Thursday, October 16, 2008

FIRE!

Okay - so maybe it wasn't as drastic as the title might seem, yet Lowell and I had our first kitchen fire a couple days ago.

Here is the play-by-play. I asked Lowell to start cooking some rice for dinner. All went well for the first two minutes. Lowell and I retreated to the living room waiting for dinner to be ready. Suddenly - I heard a "poof" like something was igniting.

I wait a few seconds trying to figure out what the noise could have been. Curiosity got the better of me and I turned the corner to the kitchen only to find flames coming from the stove. All of the training I received regarding kitchen fires was quickly forgotten. I summoned Lowell into the kitchen (please note this was NOT a yell or a scream it was simply "uh...uh...Lowell. Lowell, please come here...") - to which he couldn't move fast enough to match the paralysis that had overcome me. The culprit - a burning hot pad - was quickly thrown into the kitchen sink. Luckily was caught it before the complex burnt down.

Turns out Lowell turned on the wrong burner. Instead of the one with the pot of rice, he started the burner that my hot pad had been left on, the heat was too much for the hot pad and it died a painful death.

The evening's casualty was my favorite hot pad. It was an orange pumpkin I had just pulled out for fall, it was also the first "fall" decoration I purchased after getting married.
Lowell has promised me a new one...now that is a good husband. :)

3 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, your little kitchen has sure seen some interesting times since you've been there :) I did the same thing that Lowell did (although I was about 12 when it happened...haha) and burned a burner cover...then threw it on the floor and it melted the linoleum a little. Oops.

I just read your post about "Between the Lions." I have always greatly disliked that show!!! Luckily it's on when Carter is taking a nap or otherwise engaged. What do you have against Sid? I do hate when he's at preschool and the kids are having playtime and being all weird...and the grandma's strange laughing habit. At least I've only had to see it like twice. The only one Carter actually likes to watch is Super Why and I like that one pretty well, so it's all good....

Anyway :) What have you been up to lately, besides trying to control Lowell's pyrotechnics?

Becky said...

Your poor kitchen. First flooding, now fire... What is next?

Heidi said...

What a time you have had in that kitchen! Ha ha! I'm sorry to hear about your orange hotpad, I know you and your orange. :)