In an effort to appease him, I will share a little about Lowell. When we moved here last summer, one of Lowell's coworkers convinced him to join Toastmasters International. It is a public speaking club that meets once a week for people to give and evaluate speeches given by other members. In addition to planned speeches, each week there are impromptu speeches called "Table Topics" where someone asks a question and people have to respond. In the spring, the organization begins its round of competitions. Knowing my husband, he had to take part in the competitions. A few weeks ago he won his club's contest and participated in the area contest this past weekend.
He won. Both for his planned speech and the impromptu table topics. He is an amazing speaker and I am so proud of him.
He has one more local competition in April and if he wins that he goes to a contest in Salt Lake in May. After Salt Lake is the international contest in Orlando at the end of the summer. We shall see how far this goes. And, the club appears to be paying off - a few weeks ago he spoke in Sacrament meeting and several people asked if he was involved in public speaking as a career and one even asked if he had heard of Toastmasters because if he hadn't - he definitely needed to join. :)
4 comments:
Yay Lowell! Congratulations! Elise... it's okay to be one of "those people." Just think you are writing your family history! :)
Congrats Lowell! I can totally see you as a great public speaker (even though I've never heard you speak in public.) Great job. And I ditto the last comment...you are writing your family history and at this point in time it is mostly all about kids!
This brings back pleasant memories of hearing you perform Sunday School lessons, talks, and school projects. It brings a smile to my face to hear that you're still letting your voice be heard and are expanding your audience...Hopefully we can hear/see a highlight video of Lowell's toasting skills in future blog posts. Way to go Toastmaster!
This is a good post, but I think one of Lowell in a Dr. Suess onesie with his age on it would have been even better.
Post a Comment