In mid-July I accompanied our stake to youth conference. We explored Palmyra and other early Church history sites. It was so amazing to think of all the events in Church History that happened in the places where I walked. We toured the Sacred Grove, the Printing Press for the Book of Mormon, the Joseph Smith, Martin Harris, and Peter Whitmer Farms. We also enjoyed watching the Hill Cumorah Pageant - twice. I was so grateful for the experience and the boost it gave to my testimony. While there I realized that since May I have been to most major sites in the early history of the church - with the exclusion of Ohio and Missouri (I know, they are big sites too!). I will get there at some point. The experience really helped me gain a greater appreciation for the early days of the Church and the blessings the Church provides in my life.
On a related note, a week and a half ago Lowell and I had some errands to run in Exton and I decided to take a book with me and wait in the car for a few. I grabbed the first The Work and the Glory book just because of my trip - and I haven't been able to put them down. I finished the fifth one this morning. Lowell teases me and says I should read non-fictional accounts of the early history of the Church - however I love the Work and the Glory and have shed many tears over the past week while following the Steed clan.
Below are some of the pictures from my trip. Since Lowell wasn't with me to always take pictures I tried my hand at some "artsy" ones. Enjoy!
A windy day at the Hill Cumorah







5 comments:
You ARE a slacker :D haha I haven't talked to you in forever! You know, I'm just finishing the last Work and the Glory. Can you believe that I have never read the last one!??! I've read the first ones a couple of times, but never gotten to the last one. Strange. Anyway, remember when we were reading them for the first time and we'd e-mail each other our favorite quotes, etc. hahaha Fun times. I think I was in 8th grade, so you must have been in...5th?? wow. Love ya...let me know what's been going on!
Great pictures! Tyler & I lived in Palmyra our first summer of marriage and it was incredible! I heard from a missionary there that President Hinckley visited Palmyra once a month, because he said he felt close to Joseph Smith there. :o)
Yeah! That sounds like it was fun! I am looking forward to going myself! The youth from my entire stake went, that's cool you got to go with them! Are you in the Young Women's Presidency now? ;)
And P.S. I LOVE Work and the Glory! I read all of them in two weeks when I was twelve! They are such a great way to get an interesting perspective on church history.
I'm going to be heading your way soon! I'm excited, I've never been to PA. What would you recommend doing??
It looks like you are finding plenty of things to do back East. What are you going to do when fall comes around? What is the weather like there anyway?
Love the Sacred grove shot - looks so serene. Exactly how you'd imagine it.
Post a Comment