Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Get out and vote!

So, I have always enjoyed elections. In 2004, I turned 18 and I think I registered to vote the same day. Actually, come to think about it, I think I submitted the registration before I turned 18 - I just had to be 18 by the election. The 2004 Election was conducted via Absentee Ballot in my Heritage Halls Apartment.
However this election has me scared about the outcomes on many levels - who knows what will happen. Hatred and fear have been the tactics on both sides. I have a hard time believing that is what our country has come to and it saddens me.

This year, as opposed to the past - I am living in a "battle ground" state and am happy to say that I made my vote count this morning. Last night I was so excited to vote that I had a hard time sleeping. Lowell and I arrived at the polls at 6:45 am for their 7:00 opening. We were out by 7:20 with no major issues or confrontations - the 28th and 29th voters in our area.

Considering the recent news reports - we were the lucky ones. Several precincts in Pennsylvania have had voting machines break, it is raining in some areas, some of our friends waited 3 hours - there are even Black Panthers "protecting" the entrance to one poll in downtown Philly. There are also reports of machines in Philly counting votes for one candidate prior to the polls opening (last I heard there was an investigation into this and I am not sure what the whole story is...).
edit: Now there is a guy in Philly saying that it is time for "change" and he is coming to vote a "couple of times." The CNN anchor mentions replies that would be illegal but "it's okay." Say what? I really hope the CNN guy just didn't know what to say - but that is a scary thought.


Lowell has sworn off the media and exit poll results until this evening. I am keeping a cautious eye on things - realizing that it will most likely not be accurate.

On a related note, in 2004 I worked the KBYU exit poll. I know how that worked and believe me - we tried to be scientific yet some people just wouldn't fill out the forms, ultimately messing up the "random" selection of voters we tested. If I were still in Provo, I think I would have worked the exit poll again - it was a great experience albeit a little cold. Plus there was a cute guy that I was certain was madly in love with me - he had a yellow sports car and took us out to dinner afterward. Oh the dreams..... (sorry for the dark picture - cute guy the last one on the right-hand side, sitting by moi)

However, looking back on that evening, I am certain I cast my vote for a much better spouse. :)

As for the next president, only time will tell.

3 comments:

Simonds Family said...

Geez. Philly is intense. Way to go out and vote; I did an absentee ballot so I still feel like I haven't had the full on voting experience. Ah, next election.
ps- Nice ending. =)

Anonymous said...

I heard about those Black Panthers! Was that where you were? Kinda crazy. Agreed - great ending.

Stacy said...

lowell for president.....?


i was the 106th person to vote in my precinct. i wrote up a witty run-down of my first-time ever voting experience and then got depressed and didn't bother posting it after things started going south in the polls.... i weep for 50% of the nation.