Monday, November 24, 2008

How hard is it for you to travel 8 miles?

For my job (which yes I am in the process of quitting - he is moving offices sometime next month) is approximately 8 miles from where I live in a straight shot down the road. However,the past two trips to work have felt MUCH longer.

Last Tuesday I ventured to work via the bus. (I love having the option of driving or riding). All went well on my morning commute. Heck, there was even a new bus driver that didn't weave in and out of traffic making me feel carsick like the other one did. My afternoon ride was much more exciting.

I left my office at 2:12pm. The bus reaches the stop closest to my work between 2:16 and 2:22pm. I like to be early. I got to the bus stop at 2:14 and called Lowell to tell him how cold it was. While on the phone the bus approached (2:20ish). I waved like usual to make sure it would stop. However - I think that was my first mistake. The bus went flying past like he had never seen me. No attempt to even slow down!

Luckily, Lowell was on the phone and told me the next bus would be coming between 2:29 and 2:35. I figured by the time I walked back to my office for warmth I would miss it,I waited. Please note this is mistake 2.

I waited and waited. (Standing in the freezing cold makes time go by soooo much slower). At 2:29pm (17 minutes after leaving the office) my boss drove by without stopping - I was furious, he knew I had been out there for a while. He was heading the direction of my house and I was so cold!! (Mistake 3)

This is the only time one should ever really be that cold...playing in the snow
Please note the extreme style statements in the above picture.

At this point I think Heavenly Father decided to be nice and bless me for my patience - the clouds broke and the sun came down in a triangle of light right where I was standing. Finally - warmth!

Over the next couple of minutes the sun periodically broke through the clouds and warmed me up. However at this point I just wanted to get home. Lowell had told me the bus should be there by 2:35. Well 2:35 came and went and I was still waiting. I didn't get on a bus until 2:45pm.

Yes, I really did trust him...
...to correctly read the bus schedule, luckily - he knows I love him. :)


Yes that is right, I was outside in freezing weather standing at a bus stop for 30 minutes. (Mistake 4 - I could have gone inside) The little rays from above did much to lighten my mood and I arrived home safely without any major trauma, although it did take me an hour to thaw.

After last week's adventures I chose to drive today. I was even leaving a little so I ran out to the car, got in, and started it.

Wait - did I say I started the car? That would be incorrect. I attempted to start it however there was no hope - it was completely dead. Most of the parking lot was deserted as my neighbors all leave for work earlier. By this point I had also missed the bus - my alternative transportation. A quick call to Lowell verified the next bus wouldn't be coming for 25 minutes. I called my boss and he was understanding.

The offending vehicle...


All I needed to do was find someone to jump my car. Luckily, a neighbor lady appeared at just that moment walking out to her car. She was Indian (as in, from India) and didn't really understand me, but we crossed the cultural divide - she drove over and allowed me to attach jumper cables to her car and get my car started. She even waited around to make sure I could get out of the parking lot.

At this point I was frustrated. All I wanted was safe transportation to and from work that didn't give me any hassles. This was on my mind the entire trip to work and I just kept getting more and more upset.

When I was about 2 minutes away I suddenly noticed a slowing of traffic and few cop cars with sirens. You read that right all signs pointing to a car accident - which just so happens was occupying the lane I usually drive in. Had I been in that spot the 10 minutes or so earlier I most likely would have been one of the 4 cars involved. It looked like a rear-ending with minor or no injuries, however one car was totaled with a completely bent tire axle and shattered windshield.

I called Lowell crying - thankful for my blessings. Heavenly Father does love me, and does want me to be warm and safe. I just needed a reminder.

2 comments:

Jill said...

So grateful for Heavenly Father's blessings! And I must say, I am impressed you can hook up jumper cables! Will you teach me?

Elise said...

As for the jumper cables, unfortunately we have had to use them a few times before. They are really easy to use though! This was my first time without Lowell there. This is the fourth time the car wouldn't start because of the battery. This first couple times were because we left a light on overnight - silly us. However this time was kind of a fluke. We took it to the mechanic and had him check - he said everything was in working order. There was a loose cable - but he said that could very easily have been a result of being bumped with the jumper cables.