Friday, May 25, 2012

Gratitude

Dear Tanner David:



You were born two years ago today.  You have constantly made my heart melt ever since.



In the first year of your life you were a terrible sleeper.  Sometimes I would bounce you and sing to you with the hope that you would calm down while all the world slept.  When I felt myself getting frustrated, I would remind myself, "He's so small.  I'm going to miss this someday.  Please don't be upset with him.  You will one day miss these opportunities to comfort him."



You are a much better sleeper now.  And I already miss those evenings of comforting you.  In those rare instances when you wake up in the night, I consider it a privilege to comfort you.  Because already it happens less, and I feel this stage is almost gone forever.



Thank you for reminding me about how cool it is to be a little boy.  One of my favorite routines is coming home from work and taking you to the park.  I love to follow you around and observing in your face the exhilaration of a simple playground and wide open spaces to run.



Finally, a personal indulgence: thank you for surprising me.  You see, before you came along I was already smitten with your mom.  She was - and continues to be - a very hot woman.  I didn't think I could be any more enchanted with her than I already was.  Yet as she reads you stories, plays with you, lets you help cook, I watch her as a mother and feel an increased appreciation and affection for her than I previously imagined possible.



Happy Birthday, Tanner-doodle!

Love,

Lowell Douglas (aka "Dah!")

1 comment:

Heather C. said...

Ahhhhhh, Lowell. That was so sweet. Tanner will treasure that message from his Daddy someday.