
So, a few days ago my new boss asked if I had ever considered taking the bus to work. It is a straight shot from my house shouldn't be to hard - should it? After some research, Lowell and I concluded that it would save $30+ a day in gas and only add about 5 minutes to my commute. Definitely worth it in my book - because that money adds up, not to mention the wear and tear on our car. Perfect!
The only problem - I had only ridden the bus once in my life. It was at B.Y.U. as a naive freshman - there was a cute guy, and I had one of those free bus passes that aren't offered anymore. The guy pretty much did everything - found the route, pulled the cord to get off, waited with me in the rain. You get the picture. The idea of riding a bus by myself left me in a cold sweat. How do I pay for just the part of the ride that I need? Do they track when you get on and off? And what would happen if some weirdo started following my schedule? Believe me - I had lots of questions. You would think someone my age and with a degree would be a little more rational and not so scared of the bus, not so.
Lowell to the rescue.

He volunteered to go into work a little late this morning and ride the bus with me for the first time. We waited for about 10 minutes out front at the bus stop to make sure we didn't miss it. Lowell got off a few minutes before I did, however he did much to ease my fears of the great unknown.
I am happy to report that things went smoothly. I am a little "pull-happy" and pulled the cord one stop early on both trips. That left me with a little bit of a walk in heels. But now I know where to pull. And, it wasn't that bad. Sure there was a strange lady yelling and crying to a friend in a foreign language. But I am sure that just comes with the territory.
I can definitely get the hang of this.
1 comment:
Elise you're hilarious! The bus is relatively harmless. That is, unless you happen to be going through a colorful part of town... I have stories that I won't share until you get the hang of it :)
I'm ALL over the saving $ in gas, reading a book on the way and not stressing about traffic and crazy drivers. Especially if it only adds 5 minutes, what more could you ask for? Enjoy!
Post a Comment